Ask a question. Formulate your question very carefully (see below for instructions on phrasing your question well).
Draw a card. Yes/No Tarot readings require only one card and this answer must be accepted. You cannot continue drawing cards until you get one that gives you the answer you want. Trust me, I've done that too. If you want to learn more about how to shuffle the deck, choose a card and other tarot basics, read How to Trade or Spread Tarot Cards.
Look for the card answer below. After reading the cards for so many years, I've developed my own instinctive system for yes/no questions: see the charts below. However, it varies - a card that says "yes" for a question about finances may not be a "yes" for a question about love, so the charts below will only help you interpret the answers for relationships and romance. Also keep in mind that some cards are non-committal; sometimes they may suggest "maybe". In other words, give it time.
With all that said, here's my quick guide to tarot for love: yes/no answers. So, if you have a question about love, drop what you're asking into your mind, grab your deck and pick a card.
The gorgeous deck featured here is The Daily Witch Tarot created by Deborah Blake and illustrated by Elisabeth Alba. I really like it. It's quirky, cute and perfect for the yes/no tarot.
How to phrase your question
Remember that you are looking for a yes/no answer, so make sure your question is appropriate and not open-ended. There is no point in asking who, when, where, why and how. You won't understand the circumstances that led to the current situation ... but you may get a yes, no or maybe.
Examples of inappropriate questions: Where and how did our relationship go? Why won't he open up to me? What are the biggest obstacles to our union?
Examples of appropriate questions: Is there chemistry between us? Should I try to talk to her and work things out between us? Will this relationship last?
Yes or No: Major Arcana
- Fool - Yes, you have a chance at love. Go with how you feel.
- Magician - Yes, you have the power to make this relationship work.
- High - Maybe. You have to take it slow and follow your inner guidance. (But you knew that, didn't you?)
- Empress - Yes. Walk with passion, but don't forget birth control.
- Emperor - No, there are external pressures to deal with first.
- Hierophant - Perhaps. Seek advice from one who has a neutral perspective.
- Lovers - Hell, yes! But wait. . . if this is a life-changing choice, then make sure you consider all possible outcomes.
- Car - Maybe. You are in control here and you need to navigate carefully ahead.
- Strength - Yes. You may have to use your powers of persuasion to get your former lover to come around.
- Hermit - No. You have to spend some time working through your issues alone before you can share your life with another. Learn to love yourself first.
- Wheel of Fortune - Yes. No. Maybe. Pick another card. (Yes, I know I said never pick another card, but in this case, don't feel free.)
- Justice - Yes, if the person is available: No, if I'm not.
- Hangman - No, it's not happening yet, but give it time. Things change.
- Death - No. Something has to end before a new relationship begins.
- Temperance - Yes, the chemistry is right. You're a good match.
- Devil - No. You need to let this go. It's not good for you.
- Tower - No. This could be a destructive relationship.
- Star - Yes, love is everywhere. Feel it permeate your entire being.
- Moon - Maybe. There is a lot of confusion. Let some time pass and you'll know more clearly what you want.
- Sun - Yes, all is well. Have fun, enjoy yourself. It may be temporary.
- Judgement - Yes, you are powerfully called.
- World - Yes, though you might feel you're stuck in a holding pattern. It's okay, it's all for your benefit. You are exactly where you are meant to be.
Yes or No: Wands
- Ace of wands - Yes. Yes! Yeeesss! I'll have some of that.
- Two of the wands - No, not yet. Possibly never. Circumstances are not in your favor.
- Three wands - Possibly. You've done all you can. Now you must wait and see.
- Four of the wands - Yes, and have fun with it all. There is cause for celebration.
- Five of the wands - No. Challenges need to be addressed. You may have competition.
- Six of the wands - Yes, everything is on the spot. Go.
- Seven of the wands - No, there's too much at stake right now.
- Eight of the wands - Yes, but you need to set your priorities early on.
- Nine of the wands - No. You're not ready to get back into the romantic arena. It hurts too much.
- Ten of wands - No. Either you have too many responsibilities or you need to heal first.
- Page of Wands - Yes, life is an adventure; don't let this one go.
- Knight of Wands - Yes, if you want a quick getaway. No, if you want a long-term relationship. This one is a butterfly.
- Queen of Wands - Yes, be your sexy super.
- King of Bags - Yes, but don't let the other person push you around.
Yes or No: Cups
- As of Cups - Yes, your cup of love is flowing.
- Two Cups - Yes. That's it!
- Three Cups - Yes, but you have to find the right balance between romance and your long-lasting friendships.
- Four Cups - No. Heal your heart.
- Five of Cups - No, wait until you feel better.
- Six of Cups - Yes. This could be unconditional love.
- Seven of Cups - Maybe. . . once you can resist.
- Eight Cups - No. You have to walk away from this, even if it breaks your heart.
- Nine Cups - Yes, if you feel it's a positive thing. No, if you don't. You're in the right place for you. All is well.
- Ten of cups - Yes, this is a keeper.
- Page of Cups - Yes, although some soul searching may be required.
- Knight of Cups - Yes, but romance can't last. This is the whole show.
- Queen of Cups - Yes, but the emotional commitment may be one-sided.
- King of Cups - Yes, this person is your port in a storm.
Yes or No: Swords
- As of Swords - Maybe. Wait a day or two and you may get a revelation that will affect your decision.
- Two of Swords - No. You're not seeing things right. Don't be blinded by desire.
- Three of Swords - No, you need to think about it. There could be a communication problem.
- Four of Swords - No. You need time to heal and recover.
- Five of swords - No, this person is not sincere.
- Six of Swords - Yes, you are moving towards a better future. Take it slow.
- Seven of Swords - Yes, possibly, but check his history before moving forward.
- Eight of Swords - No. You put yourself in a situation and you need to get out of it. There is a way forward.
- Nine of swords - No. Be careful to use this relationship as an escape route.
- Ten of Swords - Yes, maybe that's what you need to move on with your life.
- Page of Swords - Yes, but be prepared for this one to be fiery and wild.
- Knight of Swords - Yes, as long as you can live with their intense focus on their quests and goals.
- Queen of Swords - Yes, and know that both partners must be transparent and honest.
- King of Swords - Yes, this could be a meeting of formidable intellects.
Yes or No: Pentacles (or Disks or Coins)
- As of Pentacles - Yes, this is a new beginning. It is possible to build nests before.
- Two of Pentacles - Yes, if you have time for it.
- Three of Pentacles - Yes, but you may need help to attract interest.
- Four of the Pentacles - No, it won't happen unless you get out more.
- Five of the Pentacles - Maybe. Life is difficult right now, so maybe this person will help you.
- Six of Pentacles - Yes, but be careful that you are not taken advantage of.
- Seven of Pentacles - Yes, it's what you've been patiently waiting for.
- Eight of Pentacles - No. You need to focus on your education or career right now.
- Nine of Pentacles - Yes, you are ideally suited to do this going forward. On the other hand, you may not even feel the need for someone else at this point.
- Ten of Pentacles - Yes, everyone approves. Bring them into the family.
- Page Pentacles - Yes. This is going to be a journey of discovery.
- Knight of Pentacles - Yes, this person has hidden depths. Enjoy the dive.
- Queen of Pentacles - Yes, if you're ready to settle down.
- King of Pentacles - Yes, this one has a lot to offer and is very generous. Keep your feet firmly planted and be realistic.
A note about reversals and clearing cards
When drawing a single card, you can ignore reversals. After all, you may be holding the deck the wrong way. The 78 tarot cards cover all aspects of life perfectly, with no need for reversals whatsoever.
So if you turn a card over for a yes/no question (or any single-card reading) and it comes up upside down, turn it over.
Turning in a card for clarification
I would suggest that you never draw clarification cards. All they do is add confusion and doubt to the original card. I know this from experience. I have drawn clarification cards for the clarification card. Just silly. The only time I would draw an extra card would be if I turned the wheel of fortune.
What if I don't like the answer I get?
That's just the risk you take when you ask, isn't it? When you ask, you have to be ready to hear the answer you give. Instead of refusing to hear the answer, take this as an opportunity to learn and grow.
Can I ask the same question again?
As I said before, it's important to take the answer you receive seriously, so you don't have to ask again. If necessary, you can ask again in a few weeks to see if anything has changed.
Can I simply focus on the person I'm interested in instead of asking a specific question?
No. To get a definitive answer, you should always have a well-formed question. Otherwise, you risk leaving yourself confused.
If I attract Lovers, does that mean the person I'm thinking about definitely loves me?
The Lovers card has many layers. It signifies a deep and connected love, but it is also associated with the sign of Gemini, the twins, so it can also mean facing a life-changing choice between two different things. So it could be a strong yes, but it could also be a strong indication that you really need to make this decision because it's very important.
What if the card is upside down?
This is what we call a reversal, but when you draw a single card, it doesn't matter if it's sideways or not. So if you turn a card over for any single card reading (including a yes/no question) and it is upside down, turn it over.
Did you get your answer?